Topband: Demo of the value of one dB and the cost of sending too fast

Bob Lawson n6rw at cox.net
Fri Feb 26 19:23:16 EST 2016

I spent part of my engineering career designing satellite command FSK
demodulators - including the deep space Pioneer Venus orbiter. To test
the performance of them, we would mix the test signal with white noise.
When you look at the FSK Bit-Error-Rate (BER) curve (bit errors versus
signal to noise ratio in a bandwidth equal to the bit rate), you can see
the BER improves by a factor of 10 to 1 for every dB in S/N ratio.  In
other words, for every dB improvement, you get one tenth the errors.

73 de Bob N6RW