Topband: Am I the only one in step?

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 10:50:06 EST 2016

Hi Roger,

I don't post here very much. I'm a casual op on 160 (no antenna at
present). The problem I experience isn't a lack of "band plans" - aka
gentlemen's agreements. The problem for me is there are too many of
them. I can find several and they are in conflict each with every other.
Since I do not care a whit about wallpaper or DXCC (sacrilege, I know)
and only have a casual interest in *some* contests. My solution is to
QSY when I encounter pileups on the band. That may mean QSY with the
bandswitch. If the gentlemen can actually reach a uniform agreement I
will be happy enough to observe it. Meanwhile I just stay out of the
way. Whenever I have an antenna I do enjoy some casual operating and
even some events like Stew Perry. Most of the time when I want to
operate I can find a place to do so and still avoid frequencies in use.
For me it's a hobby and I can use some other band or walk the dog or
play my musical instruments or even visit with the XYL when there are
rabid contests going on.

I may have a patch job on my 'big' antenna by this evening. Waiting for
the frost to leave for new antenna work.

73,

Bill  KU8H