Topband: Am I the only one in step?

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 10:53:24 EST 2016

Roger - many "locals" have told me their 160M antenna system only tunes the
CW section and they cannot even go above 1840 their antenna is so narrow
banded.

Even though I only spend a few hours on 160M phone each year, I have added
some relays to remotely short out turns of L matching network at the base,
to let me QSY easily. Few "ordinary" folks will go to such effort.

I don't have a big problem with phone contest taking the whole bandwidth on
the phone contest weekends and CW taking the whole bandwidth on the CW
contest weekends.

I did find SSB stuff all the way up to 1997kc. I thought about running
right at/below 2000kc.

I note in ARRL 160M late last year and CQ 160M CW early this year, the
phone net guys who used to camp out on "their frequency (which can be as
low as 1850)" and chase CW guys away, they seemed to be more cooperative
this year. As a result there was a lot less crowding and it was a lot
easier to work DX in the 160M CW events.. I'd like to think the CW-only ops
can be cooperative too.

Tim N3QE