Topband: Carrier on 1814.0 kHz

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Sun Jan 10 11:39:43 EST 2016

For weeks I have been hearing a fairly strong persistent signal on 1814.0
kHz.  It is either a continuous carrier or a series of slow CW dashes.  The
signals I hear periodically from buoy beacons come and go.  This one is
persistent.   I hear it only in darkness and not in daylight, so I presume
it is beyond groundwave range.  From my location near Boston, the signal
peaks at a heading of approximately 230-240 degrees.

Anyone else hear this?  If so, from what direction?

73, John W1FV