Topband: Ground Screen Question

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Jan 11 23:22:08 EST 2016

> There is considerable confusion here with respect to radial systems for
> antennas and an earth connection for lightning protection. They are VERY
> different, and both are important. Properly bonded conductors buried in
> concrete ARE acceptable as a ground for lightning protection -- it's
> called a Ufer ground, after Herbert Ufer who developed the concept, and
> it's now recognized in the National Electric Code. A Ufer ground works
> because 1) concrete is conductive and 2) there is a large surface area in
> contact with the earth. The downside is that the earth it makes contact
> with is near the surface.
>
> Like ALL earth electrodes, it must be bonded to all other grounds in your
> home -- power system, Telco, CATV, your shack, and all driven rods.
>
> I think Bob is on a pretty good track with his design.

I concur with Jim. Properly bonded into a proper ground system, it will
actually make the system safer and might even help for RF.

The key word here is PROPER. Integrated into an improper system or connected
wrong, it might not be a good idea at all.

It has to be bonded into the mains ground and all other grounds, and those
grounds have to be good.