Topband: Strange propagation

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Thu Jan 14 13:33:11 EST 2016

I have lost my amateur station in three major hurricanes over the years
here, everything including radios (from water) and antennas. I have also
rebuilt them a four different locations until I finally scrapped enough
money together and bought a home next to a large salt pond. I have full
remote station here but it only functions for contest operated by a
cliff dweller in NYC who cares not for DXCC credit.  The problem with
the US RHR deals is that it completely skews the process as far as the
propagation differences across the fruited plan.  I would love to add to
my DXCC totals as I close into the 300 mark.  USA stations can do this
but is it ethical.  It sure makes money for a pay to play amateur radio
scheme. But is it the way you want low band Dx-ing to become?  I hope
not as you only will need a computer and an internet connection and
everything else that used to a worthwhile effort is trashed.

I remember a former 160 meter DX pioneer, Charles O'Brien who originally
from Illinois used a 1/4 wave bent Marconi and 25 watts to work a G
station.  This is what we are or what we used to be. RHR I am afraid is
the end of an era were perseverance and not vast amounts of  QRO muscle
and money decided who was on top. That is a shame and perhaps to some a
disgrace as it really chances everything including the respect we have
for those who did so much with so little.`

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ