Topband: K5P signal strength

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Fri Jan 15 12:55:31 EST 2016

Herb,

I worked him at 7:24Z last night. (finally got my computer working, I
was sans my computer for a couple days).

His Tx 1.8255
My  Tx 1.82711

The P3 showed the pileup so I listened to the split and heard you
clearly calling and your signal was one of the louder ones I heard
but I really was only listening to the pileup to see what part of the
country was hearing him & it was only 6s, 7s, 8s & 9s I heard
calling, one 2 as I recall, don't know if they worked him. I heard no
4 stations calling him & no other Caribbean stations in that pileup
but you. FWIW, I heard nobody giving a report, just calling.

But what I remembered was you were hearing him to call him, before I
could hear him at all. 15 minutes later I was just barely able to
hear his signal (had my AGC off and the RF cut back just a tad to
take the edge off both the atmospheric noise and the RFI from AMTRAK
and the neighbors crap appliances). His signal was very weak here. If
not for the K3 I'd not heard him at all, it was a ghost of a signal
on my end.

My thoughts being; you could hear him before I could so there must be
a good lobe towards him between the two stations. I think you're
going to work him, your signal is good and you can indeed hear him
before me

73 & GL

Gary
KA1J