Topband: low band propagation at solar min

Milt miltn5ia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 11:20:39 EDT 2016

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Garrett
Sent: Monday, June 06, 2016 2:58 AM
To: jkaufmann at alum.mit.edu ; 'Carl Luetzelschwab' ; topband at contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: low band propagation at solar min

...........SNIP...............

I believe we still have so much to learn on this subject.
That is why nothing beats listening no matter what the numbers say.
73 and gud DX.  Bob K3UL

I am certainly guilty of neglecting 'The Band' during the northern
hemisphere summers.  Near constant QRN and short nights (for sleeping) are
the two main reasons I have traditionally not operated TB between the
equinoxes.

This year I have made a concerted effort to do spot checks on the band,
particularly the early morning hours when QRN is the lowest.  However, this
time frame allows a possibility of contacts only to the Pacific region.

I truly believe that Bob's statement above re listening is the true clue to
fully utilizing the fickle offerings of 160 Meters.

As an example, this past week, the local morning of June 2, I CQed to the
west, alternately at 225, 270 & 315 degrees.  I began at 1100 Z and
continued until my sunrise at ~1200 Z.

I did not receive any responses to my CQ's; no contacts were logged.

QRN level was quite low, so I can only presume there were few if any
stations in the targeted areas of South Pacific Islands, ZL, VK, JA, UA0 and
SE Asia on the air during this time period.

I believe 'The Band' was WIDE OPEN to at least a portion of VK, if not other
areas.  Apparently no stations were listening at that time.

The RBN system provides a good insight into the propagation available.
Besides western US RBN station reports, I noted the following.

  de               DX                 Freq             SNR           Time --
Date

VK4CT         N5IA              1824.5          19 dB         1103 -- 2 Jun

VK4CT         N5IA              1824.5          20 dB         1115 -- 2 Jun

VK4CT         N5IA              1824.5          27 dB         1131 -- 2 Jun

VK4CT         N5IA              1824.5          25 dB         1146 -- 2 Jun

The signal reports also show the signal enhancement taking place as sunrise
approached my location.

73, and GL to everyone who tries northern hemisphere, summer time operations
on TB.

de Milt, N5IA