Topband: Where is everyone?

william radice k4owr at outlook.com
Sat Oct 22 10:33:45 EDT 2016

:::: Reading this got me to thinking. I'm one of those "contestors" that
seem generally despised, especially on 80 and 160 meters. I maintain a
fairly decent station and listen as often as I can, especially on 160. .
My experience during contesting, and this is over 40 years on the band,
has been poor to say the least. There is no welcome mat for the likes of
me. I do my best to operate with a clean signal, and always avoid
interfering with others. Contesting is not that frequent on 160 so
should certainly not be an inconvenience to others.

Instead of being happy that the band is occasionally jumping with new
signals from places not normally heard, we are scorned. I have often
been working a contest, sitting on a frequency for hours, working
hundreds of stations, then suddenly been told to get off this frequency
because "me and my friend meet here all the time". I will generally move
up or down to accommodate this unreasonable character only to be told to
move further because this guy has no idea that using his noise blanker
in the presence of a strong signal (mine) will cause distortion in his
receiver. I've even been jammed when I try to hear an answer to my CQ.
I move, and they follow me, sometimes keeping it up for hours. 160 is a
very large band with lots of room for everyone, but never have I
encountered such hostility from so called "regulars'. This occurs
primarily on phone, but I've overheard complaints of CW contest activity
even though few old timers ever operate down there or use CW at all.

My point is that I find it ironic to see hams complaining about poor
activity, then giving zero welcome to a few nights of amazing activity
from contestors who provide lots of activity, the opportunity to work
stations in areas you might never hear, a great chance to see how your
station is performing, and the incentive for new hams to join the fun on
Topband. Consider this when you get on the band and hear a contest and
resent the activity.

Oh, by the way, I'm an old fart, licensed 62 years now and active every
single day for the whole time. In the last 10 years alone I have made
over 7,000 Qsos with stations in 300 countries, just since I moved to
TN. Before that, three times that number! If you hear me on 160, give me
a call....always happy to meet a new friend.

Oh, you will hear lots of stations this weekend down on CW. It's the
Stew Perry Topband challenge.  http://www.kkn.net/stew/
Try to be patient. Maybe even call a few:-)

BILL K4OWR