Topband: Where is everyone?

MICHAEL mstangelo at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 10:43:28 EDT 2016

Don,

I believe there are multiple factors causing this.

- Hams are spending more time on the Internet instead of the air. Groups like this have replaced ragchewing.

- I find new young hams are turned off by the personalities on the air. They don't relate to the old gusy's, like me, who populate the bands.

- Lots of hams don't operate these days but still renew licenses.

- Intertest in the digital modes has been growing while CW has been declining.

- I find hams who do operate are not interested in going on the air to ragchew but to go on the air for a purpose, such as DX'ing or contesting.

I expect this trend to continue. Fortunately the MF and HF bands are not targets for the wireless communications these days or we would lose spectrum to other services.

Mike N2MS