Topband: Eclipse propagation change

aa0rs aa0rs at freng.com
Thu Aug 17 20:35:06 EDT 2017

I plan to start sending a series of short cw "Test de AA0RS" transmissions
around 1825kHz during the Solar event starting as the eclipse passes over
Portland and continues across the US. I will record any data I can glean
from the RBS network and provide it to anyone interested. I will beam NW and
switch the antenna to SE when the eclipse passes over Wyoming. Hopefully
there will be some reception reports that will show if any changes occur in
the "D" layer during the short eclipse.

I will change frequency by a few kHz to try to trigger the various RBN
stations to provide reports more frequently...any suggestions to make this a
more worthwhile exercise?

Thank you.Dave