Topband: CQ WW CW 160m observations

VO1HP Amateur Radio invl160 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:05:02 EST 2017

I decided to do 160 SOSB HP....as that is where I have best lowband antenna
these days.   I found condx on first evening strange in that Eu signals
were very strong on my BOG but very hard to work.  USA signals were very
weak on the BOG but when I would switch to the "L" most W/K became
Q5....but almost non existent on the BOG...BOG runs NE/SW unterminated.

I worked following:
0 points=16;
2 points 168;
3 points 208 (incl KH6DX; KH7M; A44A;  UA9FAA?)

BTW UA9FAA zone 17 maybe a busted call...can anyone clarify for me.

I called ZB3X for a long long time several times until finally got
"?"...his signal was very strong with me and we finally worked.  Same
calling with CN2 stations that I never did work.  I had a couple of good
runs going on first evening but that didn't happen on 2nd.

The first  evening  00-04z  243 Q's and 2nd(sat) only 46; sunday morning
40;  sun evening: 51.   First Eu on Sat evening EI at 19:26Z which is
approx 1600 local.  On Sun morning EI2GLB at 0829Z.  Long after daylight in
EI.

I have a video on Youtube of ZA1WW at 2:15 local time :  (
https://youtu.be/wJcos1DkSw0)   I am switching antennas to show the
effectivenss of a BOG working immediately adjacent to the cold ocean.
I can hear Eu signals most days well before 1900Z but have yet to work one
of them until after 1900.

My goal was  500 contacts but fell very short due to the peculiar
conditions....despite that it was fun.

73
Frank VO1HP