Topband: underground cables question

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 11:02:06 EDT 2017

John,

Although I didn't look up F1160 BEF, if it's basically flooded RG-6 (and
therefore suitable for direct burial) then Just Do It! ;-)

I use Commscope F6 dual- and quad-shield flooded coax at my QTH. It's the
electrical equivalent of RG-6 coax with aluminum shielding and a
copper-clad 18 AWG steel center conductor meant for CATV use. *It has the
same loss as RG-213 and is rated for continuous use at 1500 watts* (which I
have done for years) on 160m.

The copper cladding is thick enough so as not to have significant losses as
compared to solid copper. But you might want to measure the thickess with a
micrometer, by scraping off *only* enough copper to expose the steel.

That sticky flooding compound is hard to get off your skin; wear those
thin, disposable latex surgical gloves to keep it off your fingers while
you're installing the connectors.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com