Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array

Chuck Dietz w5prchuck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:26:41 EDT 2017

I was always told that, if one had a 4 square, there would be no need for a
receive array. I am finding this to be untrue when looking at the list of
RDFs. (Receive Directivity Factor) I have snooped through the archives
reading about RDF.
Can anyone verify this from actual experience?  Can you actually hear stuff
on an 8 Circle that can't be heard on the transmit 4 square? I would think
the difference might be more than marginal with the difference in RDFs of
2.48 db.  I'm not sure of the difference in takeoff angles. That could be
important too.
As a practical matter, the 8 Circle  is huge and expensive for a single
band antenna...

Chuck W5PR