Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array

Dennis egan.dennis88 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 14:43:20 EDT 2017

Chuck

Having used both at a number of stations, I can speak with some
experience here.

The biggest virtue I have found of an 8 Circle array is the ability to
put a bothersome
station or noise in a null.  Most of the time, you can hear a station in
the 4-square beamed
direction as well on the 4-square as on the 8 Circle.  You might even be
able to put
a bothersome station or noise in a null with the 4-square, but now he
doesn't hear you either.
The 8 Circle allows you to steer the null and maybe find a spot where
the SNR is better,
and I've found both as valuable as the direction of maximum gain.

So, yes, you can hear things on an 8 Circle that you might not hear on a
4-square, but to
me its more a question of nulls (of both other signals and noise) rather
than a stronger
signal.

Dennis W1UE