Topband: RDF for Transmit 4 Square vs 8 Circle Array

daraymond at iowatelecom.net daraymond at iowatelecom.net
Mon Oct 16 18:38:03 EDT 2017

I've had a full size four square on 160 for about 15 years.  I still always
put up Beverages.  They heard well but usually did not out perform the TX
array.  That said, they hear "differently" as one might expect.  Several
years ago I put up a Hi-Z 8 circle array optimized for 160.  That was the
end of the Beverages as they did not perform as well (they were only about
600' although I did have an end-fire Bev array but the 8 circle still out
performed it).  That said, having had the 8 circle array for six of seven
years, it only "out hears" the four square maybe 20% of the time.  That
said, it is helpful to have it in diversity with the TX array.  Having
really high RDF RX antennas is not that significant of a benefit here as I
have low noise levels (although they continue to creep up with distant new
housing, various digital junk, etc.).

YMMV. . .73. . .Dave, W0FLS