Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

Brian Pease bpease2 at myfairpoint.net
Wed Oct 25 10:28:59 EDT 2017

I think that digital modes such as FT8 are a boon to hams in homes with
covenants, allowing them to work the world with minimal, even indoor,
antennas and QRP power levels. For them, at least, the challenge is
still there. I think FT8 is so popular because there is more reward
(contacts) for a given station setup compared to older modes.  No one is
being forced to use FT8, which currently only occupies a tiny 1% of the
160m band (~2kHz).  Also, no internet spotting assistance is needed to
see who is active (and copy-able) on the band.  I can listen to the
music of FT8 by simply turning up the volume control on my K3S.