Topband: FT8 - the end of 160m old school DXing?

Peter Sundberg sm2cew at telia.com
Wed Oct 25 13:50:25 EDT 2017

Jay, please don't compare the new digi protocols
with RTTY, a character based protocol.

What you see on the screen or paper in RTTY has
actually been sent, and is received as it was
sent. Or it is garbled because the link is not good enough.

With some of the new popular digi protocols most
of what is written on the screen, some call it
"received", has never been received as a complete
message. It is reproduced from other sources than the radio path.

As a well known 6m op said after summing up his
Zero to DXCC journey this last summer - "without
entering already known information (calls) to the
software I wouldn't have been even close to where I am now.."

BIG difference - no wonder the users of new digi
protocols apply for a DXCC award after a week. Try that with RTTY.

73
Peter SM2CEW