Topband: Common mode current and QRN on 160m

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Sat Oct 28 16:29:16 EDT 2017

I had never used baluns on any antennas for 45 years . . .

But about a year ago I made a couple of ferrite choke baluns . . . one for
my 160m dipole, one for my W3DZZ,  just to see if made any difference to the
local noise (from electrical garbage) - the designs were recommended to me
by G3TZQ.

It made NO difference on 160m . . . and only about a 3dB noise drop on 80m!

I've never had any room for beverages . . . or outdoor Pennant receiving
antennas for that matter . .

So about a month ago I made a 6ft multi-turn Loop receiving aerial for 160m.
It's up in my loft, positioned to null out the local noise. And it works
great on DX!

It's such a simple and cheap design (varicap tuned) that I'm sure people in
similar situations who DX on 160m may be interested in trying one.  So I'll
post details on here soon.

Roger G3YRO