Topband: Subject: Re: Straws in the Wind ....A 160m Dx'ing Sea Change

Pete Rimmel N8PR n8pr at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 1 12:44:03 EDT 2018

This is just the same type of comment that was made back when SSB took over for AM Phone operations.

SSB was considered “Not Real Ham Radio”  and now is not even a pause in anyone’s mind about it being a “development” mode.

FT8 is the same...  a development that allows us to hear deeper into the noise.

I work EME using JT65 and most of the QSOs on 2 meter EME would not have been made if the stations were using CW.

I don’t understand why there is resistance to change and progress.

You must remember that since CW is no longer required to get a license in the US, why denigrate those who want to work DX with a mode other than CW and SSB (oh, and RTTY,PSK31, Heilschreiber, Olivia...)?

BTW, Is not part of ham radio figuring out how to put together effective stations and antennas?  Without that ability, the rare ones would not be worked, ,no matter what mode is used.

Many hams still have not figured out that FT8 is a WEAK SIGNAL mode, not a LOW POWER mode.  1500 Watts and a good TX antenna is still frequently not good copy on the other side of the world on 160.  the testament to that is that if you watch the signal reports on FT8 anything lower than a – 12 SNR report would not be good copy on CW...  I see and have worked – on HF – stations with a –24 SNR...  Yes I know that it is said that lower than  -19 is not possible on HF with FT8, but That is not true, since I use a Waller Flag receive antenna on 160 through 30 Meters, which hears better than most receive antennas other than phased beverages, and unless you have 100 acres, you cannot have them in at least 8 directions.  My WF rotates to point at any incoming sighal, and will change polarization, as well.

73, and Keep complaining... as long as you are on here typing, I’m on there working the DX without you in my way  --  LOL  !!

73,  PeteR  N8PR