Topband: Laser Com introducing a breakthrough Top Band antenna at Dayton

vk2wf vk2wf at bigpond.com
Sun Apr 1 17:44:48 EDT 2018

I almost believed it but then I looked at the date.73Adrian VK2WF

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S7 on the Telstra Mobile Network
-------- Original message --------From: kx4tt--- via Topband <topband at contesting.com> Date: 2/4/18  6:33 am  (GMT+10:00) To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb at gmail.com>, donovanf at starpower.net Cc: topBand List <topband at contesting.com> Subject: Re: Topband: Laser Com introducing a breakthrough Top Band antenna
  at Dayton
I hope it's not Ben....
Lee KX4TT....
------ Original message------From: Don KirkDate: Sun, Apr 1, 2018 12:35To: donovanf at starpower.net;Cc: topBand List;Subject:Re: Topband: Laser Com introducing a breakthrough Top Band antenna at Dayton
Is Dr Dover’s first name April, and middle name Fools. :)73,Don (wd8dsb)On Sunday, April 1, 2018,  wrote:>>>> Laser Com Announces New Topband Antenna System>>>>> Reported by Woody K3YV>>> Laser Com, Inc. of Titusville, Florida recently announced their> development of a revolutionary new 160 meter antenna system> based on their proprietary laser communications system.>>> Dr. Benjamin Dover, Laser Com’s chief engineer, cited their research> into laser-based space communications as providing the “happy> accident” that led to the discovery of the laser based 160 meter> antenna system.>>> Dr. Dover said that an accidental connection of the wrong cable> led to the discovery. A cable that had been carrying 1.8 MHz> signals was inadvertently connected to the modulation input of the> laser transmitter that that Ben was testing. “Imagine our surprise,”> said Dr. Dover, “when we noticed that 1.8 MHz radio frequencies> were being radiated all along the laser beam. This is something we> never expected. The possibilities are endless.”>>>> Laser Com plans to market the laser antenna not only as a commercial> product, but also as a low cost 160 meter amateur radio antenna.> Dr. Dover set up the prototype as a demonstration of the product’s> simplicity.>>> The secret to the 160 meter laser antenna is in the base unit’s> modulation transformer that directly modulates the Plesseo-Dyminium> laser crystal. The user simply places the laser box on the ground and> adjusts the laser beam straight up into the air. As the laser beam rises> into the sky, the 160 meter signal travels up the laser beam and is> radiated all along the length of the optical beam.>>> The laser beam shines nearly a mile into the atmosphere. However,> due to path losses along the beam, the actual 160 meter radiation is> only transmitted by the first few hundred feet of the laser’s beam. The> result is an omni-directional vertical 160 meter antenna that is several> hundred feet high.>>> Acting like a co-linear antenna array, the over all antenna gain is> approximately 10 to 15 dB in the 160 meter band.>>> Dr. Dover said, “We're really excited about this product. There are no> antenna restrictions on an invisible light beam, no lightning risks, and> no damage from wind storms. The only down side is s ignal attenuation> due to heavy fog, which can attenuate the 160 meter signal by as much> as 6 dB. Otherwise, this is as near to a perfect antenna as you can> hope for.”>>> Laser Com plans to introduce the amateur version of this antenna at the> Dayton Hamvention this May.>> _________________> Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband>_________________Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband