Topband: new style PL-259's with screw on back INSTRUCTIONS

Clive GM3POI clive at gm3poi.com
Wed Dec 5 11:21:42 EST 2018

From: MU 4CX250B [mailto:4cx250b at miamioh.edu]
Sent: 05 December 2018 16:04
To: Clive GM3POI
Cc: topband at contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: new style PL-259's with screw on back INSTRUCTIONS

Finally, after years of frustration with several types of PL259 connectors, I've settled on the new crimp/solder type from DX Engineering. They're strong, reliable, and easy to install in minutes while dangling from a tower. Soldering is only for the center conductor.

The downsides are that they're a bit pricey, and require a crimp connector.  Over the past year, I've bought about fifty of them and am gradually swapping them into all my indoor and outdoor cables. Here's a link: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-pl259cs8x-12

BTW, I'm also phasing out all the LMR-400 (both the ordinary and superflex types) in my station  and going back to plain old RG213. The modest attenuation improvement of LMR400 over the earlier RG--type cables is negligible at HF frequencies, and the Al foil and awkward-size center conductor of the LMR cables have been, for me, nothing but trouble.

73,

Jim W8ZR

Sent from my iPhone