Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)

Phil Duff na4m at suddenlink.net
Thu Dec 6 09:15:27 EST 2018

Interesting.

I’ve used PL-259’s for over 45 years for HF & most all 6m & 2m plugs.  The rare random problems with them were the result of cheaping out with poor quality connector, inadequate weather-proofing, or poor connector assembly/soldering.

Using N’s and then having to use N to PL-259 adapters on gear supplied with SO-239's is a needless pain. Adapters themselves are a failure point.

YMMV

Phil NA4M

> On Dec 6, 2018, at 12:49 AM, Martin Kratoska <martin at ok1rr.com> wrote:
>
> Did he same. Since this change no problem anymore. Confirming what Greg says and can only recommend - throw away all PLs and go to N!
>
> 73,
> Martin, OK1RR
>
> Dne 06. 12. 18 v 5:00 Greg-zl3ix napsal(a):
>>  I continue to be mystified by the fact that the amateur radio
>> community insists on using PL259 connectors. N-type are much more
>> reliable (used by professional communicators), low cost, can be crimped
>> easily and quickly and have a well-defined impedance right up into GHz
>> frequencies.
>> Back in 2005 I started having contact problems with the
>> connector on my SteppIR 3-element. There was a thin layer of oxide that
>> built up around the centre pin of the PL259. I had had similar problems
>> with other connectors around my shack. I decided to change my entire
>> station, including the SteppIR, to N-type, and have never looked back.
>> 73, Greg, ZL3IX
>> On 06.12.2018 13:29, Steve Ireland wrote:
>>>
>> G'day
>>>
>>> About five years I discovered this fool-proof and brilliant
>> way to solder PL-259s invented by Bill Maxon N4AR who taught this to Tim
>> K3LR. Tim uses this method throughout his contest station and did a
>> great job of documenting it - see http://www.k3lr.com/engineering/pl259/
>> [1] and it has totally changed my angry and worried attitude towards
>> soldering PL-259s.
>>>
>>> The key component is Amphenol 83-1SP connectors.
>> The connector body is silver and the shell is nickel and you can buy
>> them from Mouser or DX Engineering.
>>>
>>> Vy 73
>>>
>>> Steve, VK6VZ
>>>

>> ---
>> software.
>>> _________________
>>>
>> Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband [3] - Topband
>> Reflector
>>  Links:
>> ------
>> [1]
>> http://www.k3lr.com/engineering/pl259/
>> [2]
>> [3] http://www.contesting.com/_topband
>> Searchable Archives: http://www.contesting.com/_topband - Topband Reflector

Phil Duff          na4m[at]suddenlink[dot]net