Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Thu Dec 6 11:23:53 EST 2018

	About twenty-five years ago I started replacing many of my PL259
connectors with N-connectors. I did this mostly because my VHF/UHF buddies
convinced me that the impedance bump of an N-connector was less than that of
a PL259. Also, about the same time I started using mil-surplus Transco
remote coax switches and relays, all of which used N-connectors, and which
were good up to 1GHz. After 15 years of problems, however, I've now purged
N-connectors from my station and have a bunch of Transco relays and coax
switches I'll sell cheap. I've gone back to PL259s and have recently
discovered the new, fancy, DXE "second generation" crimp/solder type PL259s,
which I think are wonderful.
	My problems with N-connectors are (1) repeated intermittent
connections in frigid weather with the center pin making poor contact to its
mate. This usually affected only receive signals. (2) flashing over the
center pin/shell at QRO power levels, especially with accidental high SWR.
(3) Weak mechanical durability with flexing and twisting the cable. (4) A
continuing hassle installing the connectors, mostly tinkering with the
braid, having to measure exactly to get the pin to protrude the right length
from the end of the connector, and getting exactly the right amount of
small-diameter solder to flow into the center pin so it doesn't jam up in
its Teflon sleeve. (I realize that practice makes perfect, but in my case
months would go by between connectors and each time I'd have to relearn the
whole assembly process.)
	The classic Amphenol UG-21 "N-connector" has six pieces: center pin,
shell, flat washer, metal cone, rubber gasket, and end nut. There are many
things that can go wrong in assembling one of these connectors, and I've
done them all. I realize there are newer designs, with crimp connectors and
fewer pieces. I've tried some of them and while they're somewhat easier  to
install, they're still a nuisance, particularly if the wind is blowing and
you're dangling from a safety belt up on the tower.
	In the meantime, like Tony, I've had decades go by with no headaches
from PL259s. A well installed PL259 is very rugged, will handle much more
power than you should ever be running, and - with the new designs - is very
easy to install. Their much-disparaged impedance bump may be a consideration
at 2m and above, but not at 6m and below. That said, it is important to tape
PL259s properly to seal them from the elements. Scotch 33 or Scotch Super 88
is mandatory for outdoor use, and you should follow closely the instructions
on how to use the tape properly to ensure decades of reliability. If you've
not read the instructions you may be in for a surprise.
73,
Jim W8ZR

Tony
> Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2018 08:31 AM
> To: 'GEORGE WALLNER'; topband at contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259
> soldering/reliability problems)
>
> I have been using PL-259 connectors forever. I have switched to crimp
> connectors when I need to make up a new cable. No sense replacing the
> soldered connectors if they are working fine. ThePL-259 is a low loss,
easy
> to assemble connector for up to at least 6M (nothing higher in frequency
> here) that makes good contact and are easy to seal with rescue tape
followed
> by Scotch 33+. Some of my PL-259's have been in use outside for 40 years
and
> still look good and work well. I hope manufacturer's don't change.
> 73,
> N2TK, Tony

Reflector