Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259 soldering/reliability problems)

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Dec 6 22:48:02 EST 2018

I used to have many coax cables with factory installed type N
connectors.  Virtually all of them have sooner or later
suffered from the center conductor pins either retracting or
extending outward over time.  Once the pin moves far enough
either in or out, the connector will no longer mate.  I have
been able to temporarily rehabilitate some cables with the
retraction failure by pulling on the center pin with vise
grips.  If they overextend, there is no way AFAIK to fix
them besides replacing the connectors. Evidentally,
none of these cables used connectors with a captivated
center conductor.  I have seen this in coiled up coax,
coax hanging from a tower, and coax just laying on
the ground.  Coax used/stored only indoors seems to be
immune from this problem.

I would be interested in hearing from other people who have
observed this problem.  Am I somehow doing something wrong
to cause this?

Rick N6RK