Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sat Dec 8 11:49:47 EST 2018

Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2018 15:05:28 -0500 (EST)
From: donovanf at starpower.net
To: topband at contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Rather use N-type (was Re: The answer to PL-259
soldering/reliability problems)

<On the other hand, the much bulkier 7-16 DIN connectors offer
<similar high performance and they're widely available at much
<more affordable prices. For example, do this Google search

<73
<Frank
<W3LPL

##  If you want to see something real silly, look at heliax, like
.875 inch, or larger,  with a type N connector installed.  Here
you have this large diameter heliax....  with a  massive type N connector,
complete with the puny, BNC sized  center pin.   At the telco I worked at
for 34 years, all our cell sites eventually changed out to the more robust
7-16 DIN.    Its  7mm, and  16mm, NOT  7/16 inch .

##  On a side note they also make a bigger DIN, called a   13-30, which is
over the top.

##  On .875 and  bigger heliax, and stuff like   LMR-1200DB,  the only available
connectors are   Type N  and   7-16 DIN.   No brainer here folks.  Hardly any difference
in price between the 2  connectors on the larger cables.  The center pin on any  7-16 DIN
is huge..and the V stand off is superb  on a  7-16 DIN.. like  2900 V rms...add  41 % for peak value.
The beauty of the 7-16  DIN is.. the female  chassis  connector is only 1.25 inch square..... vs the  1 inch square of either
a  Type N or a SO-239.

##  The 7-16 din is similar to a Type N in that the shield path is on an inner collet..and not the outer  threads... they are
2  different items.   But both are  zero ohms between them.   You can also apply   5 X more  tightening Torque on a 7-16 Din,
vs  Type N.   You wont blow up a 7-16 din anytime soon.    I use the dins on  LMR-1200DB, and also  LMR-600,  600UF,
and also  RG-393.

Jim   VE7RF