Topband: Shunt feed procedure?

Kenny Silverman kenny.k2kw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:46:25 EST 2018

Hi All,  we’re planning on gamma  loading a 130’ tower with a stack of StepIR  antennas using a cage for the shunt wire. We have modeled the tower. Question: is the model sufficient to determine the gamma wire height?  Or is the procedure to use a single wire to per the model height first to find the 50 ohm point and then build the cage to fit the length?

Also, any tips on shorting the elements on the StepIR dream beam so they won’t arc?  Any anecdotal info on StepIR antennas on the shunted tower?

Regards , Kenny K2KW