Topband: More radials

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Sun Dec 16 17:52:32 EST 2018

I had some of the terminal copper braiding
on my coax's from the remote antenna
switch to the wire antennas go bad and
corrode away. I replaced them with new
coax and while I was at it, I took the
time to lay out about 8-9 new 100' &
longer radials on the marsh.

I used the new plumbing solder on all of
them to cut down on oxidation. FWIW, I've
used that stuff on all of my radial
connections for the last 8-9 years and in
the salt marsh environment, none of them
show any oxidation at all. I'm sure lead
solder would show severe corrosion in this
environment. This lead free solder is a
PITA to use on coax but it works. Works
much better on ring terminals & WD-1A.

Anyway, Here's hoping the effort to get
those new radials out will garner me some
better Tx on topband.

Good luck to us all & 73,

Gary
KA1J