Topband: Inverted L improvement question

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Tue Dec 18 16:48:52 EST 2018

My opinion is that it adds unwanted horizontal radiation.  Some will argue that
the current in the upper part of vertical radiator is increased, but so is the
current in the horizontal part, something seemingly overlooked by many.

In my case I *shortened* the loading wire to make the feedpoint capacitive and
then matched with a shunt inductor.

As a practical matter, this didn't improve the 2:1 match bandwidth one bit.
Without the matching and with my ground loss, the Z pretty much followed the 2:1
circle on the Smith chart with about 25 ohm at resonance and the reactance being
the big variable.  With a 1/2" Heliax feeder and a tuner in the shack I was
good.  With the L-network (series C furnished by the antenna and a shunt
inductor) I have a 50 ohm match at the design center and pretty much the same
bandwidth within the 2:1 circle.  The real part of Z is now the big variable.
If I was manually adjusting a tuner, I might actually prefer the former. The
shunt L does provide a DC ground however, and the shorter wire fits my available
space better.

Wes  N7WS