Topband: Inverted L improvement question

n4is at n4is.com n4is at n4is.com
Fri Dec 28 11:21:50 EST 2018

Wes you're right

The SAL is a good antenna, any directivity increases signal to noise ratio. The RDF is 2 to 3 bd better than the vertical antenna, it means the improvement on signal to noise ratio is about 6db.  You can dig signals 6 db below noise with the SAL  that you cannot hear with the inverted L.

..but the SAL  has the same performance of a K9AY, or EWE or a single FLAG, The clamed 10 db RDF was never confirmed or measured, The SAL  is the most complicated K9AY you can build. The separation in two loops does not change the directivity.

You can phase 2 FLAGS to increase RDF to 11.5 DB, as well you can phase two K9AY or 4  if you want, but the SAL phasing system is complicated and it is impractical to phase two SAL to increase RDF.

73
JC
N4IS