Topband: Inverted L improvement question - Part 2

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 28 19:49:41 EST 2018

Modeling I've done shows it a bad idea to have in ground and elevated
radials connected together, but that is not clear from what you
described.  Then with the elevated separate, moving the feedpoint up at
least 8', to 12' is better and elevated radials run out at that height.
I think it is a tossup if the "flying V" feed is used - ie gain some
vertical wire length by feeding near ground and then angle the wires to
the the elevated ones say at 45 degrees.  It doesn't hurt to have the
buried radials below the elevated but doesn't help either according to
NEC4.2 models I've tried.  The elevated ones shield the currents enough
from the ground in the near field.

Check out what N6LF has to say about elevated radials (if you haven't
already)  antennasbyn6lf.com

Then develop an swr curve with 5 watts from your rig.  Better than nothing.

Borrow a different antenna analyzer to try or put a quality BCB filter
on the input.  You need one anyway.  A two port VNA can calibrate out
the filter.

It is also hard to compare antennas unless the A/B testing is real time.
  This week proves that on 160, one night nada to EU, Thur night was
pretty good and I missed the killer opening on Wed according to PNW
reports.

Grant KZ1W