Topband: Supporting Ladder line

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Sat Jan 6 15:38:14 EST 2018

Vic, I've had nothing but bad luck in trying to support long horizontal lengths of ladder line. In my case, I have two 720 ft bidirectional beverages, which I initially made of heavy duty commercial ladder line. I supported the line with wood 4"x4" posts, spaced sixty feet apart, using the little plastic ladder line clamps, sold in the US by DX Engineering.

After only a month or so, the plastic clamps broke apart because of the repetitive flexing of the ladder line in breezes. I replaced the clamps with wood clamps, screwed into the top of the posts. These survived with no problem, but the ladder didn't. After six months or so, I started having breaks in the line from the flexing, and after spending two years repeatedly repairing the line, I gave up and threw away all 1500 feet of the stuff.

Finally, I settled on WD1a military surplus field telephone wire, available from many sources for about $50 USD in half mile lengths. I use two parallel lengths of the wire, threaded through twin ceramic insulators screwed into each 4x4 wood support (available from a farm supply store), with a pulley at the far end to equalize tension in the two lengths. In three years, it has worked perfectly, with no problems at all.

I'm not disparaging ladder line (or the plastic clamps) at all. The commercial stuff just isn't designed for long horizontal lengths.

73,
Jim W8ZR