Topband: Supporting Ladder line

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Wed Jan 10 16:31:03 EST 2018

Hi Rys,

Simply change the turns ratios of the reflection transformer and
matching transformer to correspond to the approximate termination
impedance and feed impedance. 4:1 transformers work well for a
reversible BOG and a 9:1 transformers works well for an elevated
Beverage.

For a reversible Beverage, its very important that the unused coax
be terminated in approximately a 75 ohm resistor. If you use a single
coax feed, the switch box at the feedpoint must use a resistor to
terminate the unused feed transformer. Its possible to optimize the
termination resistor value to improve the front-to-back ratio, but the
improvement is small especially in the case of a BOG.

RG-174 has approximately 1 dB loss per 100 feet on 160 meters which
is quite acceptable for a 220 foot BOG. You should use 6:1 transformers.

73
Frank
W3LPL