Topband: How to determine impedance

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Fri Jan 26 10:59:57 EST 2018

Another line Z measurement technique is with a scope and reasonably fast
risetime (few nsec) pulse generator.  Terminate about a 20' length of
line with a variable non-inductive pot or carbon comp resistor selection
and drive a pulse at the other end and adjust the resistance for minimum
reflection at the drive point looking at the scope.  At ~1 nsec per foot
for the transmission line that should be about 40nsec from the pulse
output.  On a few hundred nsec long pulse the reflection will be a shelf
higher or lower on the original pulse.  With no shelf, the resistance
value is the line Z.   Maybe not as accurate as a network analyzer
(didn't have one) but worked well enough in the digital data
transmission world for me.

Grant KZ1W