Topband: No 160m Sunrise Peak

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 31 20:52:59 EST 2018

I was out in the Bahamas for the CQWW160 contest from C6AGU. Both before and
after the contest I got up to work JA-s at sunrise. There was definite peak
in signals. The peaks started just at sunrise (06:47 local time) and lasted
about 15 minutes. By 07:15 there was nothing on the band. It was similar
during the contest.
On Monday morning I was testing a new 80 meter antenna. The peak was very
prominent on this band. I was working JA-s from about 06:15 and they were
extremely weak (I had a good RX antenna and plenty of pre-amp gain).
Starting just after sunrise, around 07:00 signals came up to S9 withing
minutes. I worked about 30 stations and most of them were loud. The peak
ended very quickly: I was barely able to complete the last QSO. By 07:20
there was absolutely nothing.
73,
George,
AA7JV/C6AGU