Topband: Power / Control cable

Eric NO3M no3m at no3m.net
Mon Jul 16 11:36:31 EDT 2018

I'm in the process of finding a replacement cable to supply power
(+24VDC) and differential serial signaling (RS-485) to my remote RX
switching matrix and vertical arrays.  Total run is about 600ft. The
original cable was outdoor rated, gel infused CAT5 using 3-cond for
VDC+, 3-cond for VDC-, and the remaining two cond for serial. It lasted
almost 7 years.

Recent searches for a reasonably priced replacement CAT5 have brought up
a lot of candidates, but with CCA (copper clad aluminum) conductors.
I'd prefer pure copper as far as the power lines are concerned, but
price increases dramatically.

Any recommendations on a suitable and decently priced cable to do the
job, supplier?  Perhaps parallel runs of 18/2 or 16/2, 18/4 or 16/4, or
a good deal for CAT5 with pure copper?

Thanks
73 Eric NO3M