Topband: Laying ground radials

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 6 20:20:24 EDT 2018

I pulled >1500'  of 1" pvc water line in glued together 200' lengths 8"
beneath an adobe cattle pasture using a Kellems swivel grip attached to
a single point ripper on a 70hp tractor.    My ripper was 1" plate on a
3 point hitch so start and stop was easy. A hole was dug at each 200'
joint to glue the pvc lengths together.

I think the same idea would work for radials except where rocks or large
roots preclude it.  Dig a trench around the vertical base to get the
wire started and drive it out to the right length.  For radials I think
3/8" max 1/2" thick steel plate would work with a hole in the back side
to fasten the wire.  With a ride on mower maybe a tilting ripper blade
would make the start/stop/backup pretty easy.  IMO, pretty simple to get
something like that welded up to fit the mower hitch.  Or buy a
commercial single point ripper for you tractor.

Grant KZ1W