Topband: Effect of Ground on a Dipole

Roger Kennedy roger at wessexproductions.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 06:57:32 EDT 2018

Hi David

Yes, I use RBN for comparisons these days . . . often get reports from US
stations of more than 35dB over the noise!  And obviously it's quite easy,
when some other British stations are on, to look at their reports and
compare.

And over the decades, I have done lots of comparisons, which is obviously
much easier on SSB. About 25 years ago I was one of a group of stations who
had skeds on SSB every morning for a whole year on 160 with a group of ZL
and VKs . . . all the others had BIG verticals (two had full-sized quarter
waves) . . . they were all amazed that I was consistently one of the
strongest signals. (even though I was running less than half the power of
most of them!)

Apart from the lack of space for radials, if I had a Vertical I'd want it to
be at least 80ft tall . . . and as I live in an ordinary street, I think the
neighbours would object!

However . . . propagation is completely different on 80m. DX is nearly
always low-angle . . . so without a good vertical your reports will always
be way down. So your idea for 80m is probably a good one.

Roger G3YRO