Topband: Baker Island DXpedition on 160

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jun 12 14:17:43 EDT 2018

Hello TopBanders,
KH1/KH7Z will be active on 160 from Baker Island from June 27 to July 6
(note that dates are tentative and may change -- please visit
http://baker2018.net/ for updates). Given the time of the year, KH1 is
likely to be challenging for most. In addition to the less then perfect time
of the year, we are limited to a maximum antenna height of 43 feet. But, we
do have a new antenna for 160 meters we will stand it in the salt-water to
maximize its performance. We will also have a couple of DHDL receiving
antennas with high performance pre-amplifiers. In other words, we will do
our absolute best to overcome the handicaps that we were dealt.
Our TX frequency will be 1822.5 to being with and we will be listening up.
NA stations should call above 1825.0 to avoid the stronger JA callers, who
are limited to below 1825.0
Our sunset will be at 07:45 UTC. We will be on the band at sunset to fully
take advantage of the 1 1/2 hours of common darkness with the NA East Coast.
During that time the sun will be still up in Japan, so we will be able to
focus on NA and SA. West coast stations will have more than 4 hours of
common darkness with us, they should have a decent chance of putting KH1 in
the log. After the West Coast sunrise, from about 12:45 UTC onward, JA, UA0
and SE Asia, as well as ZL/VK, will have an exclusive shot at us. During
this time we may move down to give the JA-s more room.
EU will be,,,well ...difficult. We will stay on the air throughout each
sunrise, working as far west as possible.
GL and CU,
George,
AA7JV

PS: Donations are the life-blood of DXpeditions and this one is no
exception.