Topband: cutting coax stubs for 80 meter 4-square

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Sun Jun 10 00:04:14 EDT 2018

I used a return loss bridge and measured a TEE fitting with a good 50
ohm load on one port the length of cable on the other side. The antenna
analyzer will read a perfect 50 ohm match when the cable is 1/2
wavelength long. If the cable is an open quarter wave, your analyzer
will show high VSWR or low return loss. keep in mind that you will see
many bumps as you increase frequency and you get multiples of half waves
and quarter waves. You want the lowest frequency VSWR null and that is a
single half wave at that frequency.  A half wave repeats the impedance,
so an open half wave in coax will also look like a open at the TEE
fitting and it is across the 50 ohm load so it still looks like a 50 ohm
load. (low VSWR) Every open quarter wave coax reflects back as a short,
and that makes the VSWR very poor.

Dave K1wHS