Topband: XM240 Hi-Q coils

Steve Babcock ve6wz at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 28 20:29:49 EDT 2018

Hi Bill,
(If you don't mind, I have shared this to the reflector since I have rx’d other similar questions)

I have lately been using 4NEC2 (free and very good program: http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/ <http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/> )
My model is not a “standalone” 40m yagi, but includes the 80m Yagi on the same boom. (the 40m Yagi shares the boom with the 80m Yagi)

However, I would suggest you build you own model anyway and play with the Reflector tuning and observe the F/B, gain, impedance and BW. It is very informative. You will also realize that when the peak F/B approaches the resonance point the BW will get real narrow. Also, you will see that when the reflector is tuned that short, the Yagi will actually reverse direction below the FB peak since the reflector begins to act like a director. Thats why you need bandswitching.

The most important thing about building your own model is you can then determine the resonant point of the reflector when the driver is isolated. In the model, insert about 1e6 ohms load at the driver element, and then do a sweep and measure the resonance. Then, when you build the Yagi on the tower, isolate the driver (just open it up) and use your analyzer to tune the reflector for resonance at the measured qrg as per the model results. Then tune the driver and include the necessary matching network based on the impedance data gained from the model.

go here to my webpage…everything is explained for the coil build here:
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/CC_coil.html <http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/CC_coil.html>

For detail on general coil construction and the tuning methods I used, see what I did with the 80m Yagi here:
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/intro.htm <http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/intro.htm>

73, de steve ve6wz