Topband: Conditions and Activity

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Fri Nov 2 11:04:24 EDT 2018

I missed you last night, Roger

I did try listening on the band 2 hours before my sunset and was
surprised to hear a DL1 station at S7 or S8. It was an amazing signal at
19:42 UT.  I just happened to be in the 160 shack working on some
shelves for a test equipment bench.   At my sunset, I heard VK6VZ on
long path with a great real 559 signal. He was in for a tad over 15
minutes, but too much EU QRM to get through. That was my first long path
signal heard on 160.  I have also heard JA stations at my sunrise three
days in a row. That is a normally impossible path!

I promise to be more active in hopes of working plenty of rare DX as
well as talk to the many friends I am making on 160! What a great band!
In a weak moment, I even tried some FT8 but had a miserable time as the
software seemed all screwed up. I could not send RR to answering
stations, and it took me a few minutes to realize that the FOX/HOUND
push buttons had been activated!  What a dope I am at times.  The FT-8
adventure was short lived and back on CW I found a station in Andorra
for a new country! I am up to 193 now.  I will try to get on for EU
sunrise in the coming days too.

I am so happy that 160 condx are getting so FB.  I hope to make the most
of them. Thanks for all of your efforts.

Dave K1WHS