Topband: Impedance of inv l?

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 13:03:40 EST 2018

Frank and all,

I thought I would share a little real world experience I had today.  I have
a T, loaded vertical that is only something like 57 feet tall at the
moment.  The R should probably be in the neighborhood of 10. It is located
about 30 feet from the water.  I had about 40 radials and they ranged from
about 30 feet (ones going straight toward the water or sometimes in the
water) and perhaps 75 feet long.  I would say the average length is about
60 feet or so.  I added 8 more radials yesterday wanting to get the R down
to something I liked better.  I made a ring out of some 3/8 copper tubing,
scraped, soldered, generally made better connections than what I originally
had.  I moved the R by 1 ohm down from 22 to 21. :-)

Today, despite the fact that "my property" is about 100 feet wide, I first
added 6 radials that are well in excess of 100 feet long each - probably
115-125 feet long.  The R dropped from 21 to 14.  WOW.  Then I added 4 more
long radials.  The R dropped from 14 to 13.  I am stopping there.  I think
I would likely have to add another six going on the neighbors yard to drop
it by another 1 ohm.   I think I probably just picked up 3/4 dB - maybe
that's enough to work the EP6 that I have called for a couple hours.

In my particular case, I am not sure I could have reduced the 22 to 13 if I
had added another 30 radials x 70 feet long each.  The longer ones did the
trick in a big way.

73, Happy Thanksgiving and see you this weekend.

Stan, ZF9CW