Topband: 160m antenna help

Wes Stewart wes_n7ws at triconet.org
Fri Sep 21 18:20:45 EDT 2018

Paul,

It would be nice to have a few more data points.  The two you supplied when
mapped onto the Smith Chart don't give much evidence of a resonant point and the
second one doesn't make sense.  With these limited data I suggest that your
Alternatively, a series capacitor of 2800 pf would give you resonance at 1.825
with SWR= 1.5.  By serendipity the SWR at 1.882 is also 1.5, but on the opposite
(wrong) side of the Smith Chart

None of this improves the ground loss situation.

Bottom line, I suspect your data is flawed, which seems to be an epidemic with
the numbers being posted lately from RigExpert equipment.  This is curious as I
have an AA-55 which, except for tacking on one bogus data point in exported
files, agrees closely with data taken on the same inverted L with my DG8SAQ
VNWA. It also overlays modeled data quite nicely.

Wes  N7WS