Topband: 160

GEORGE WALLNER aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Fri Aug 2 20:06:13 EDT 2019

Nobody is talking about "shutting" anything down.
Quite the opposite: expand the DXCC program by creating a new category! FT-x
is sufficiently different to justify that. The skills need for FT-x are
different from those required for the traditional modes. A new award
category would reflect that.
I would go further, but I don't think too far:
FT-x could be crucial to HAM radio's future. On a recent mini DXpedition I
asked a young and recently licensed HAM to operate FT-8. He said, sure, give
me a minute. He brought his laptop (not the one that was part of the FT-8
station) and proceeded to operate FT-8, while using his laptop to watch a
movie and was looking at Facebook, and he was in chats with friends (and
HAM-s) on his phone. I was somewhat peeved, until I came to realize that
this is how the new generation lives: multi-threading using their electronic
devices. Unlike us, most of them are not willing to put on the head-phones
and concentrate on weak CW signals for hours, to the exclusion of everything
else. They don't live like that and they will not enjoy a hobby like that.
It is not my place to judge whether this is good or bad. It is what it is.
But to attract this new "multi-activity generation" to HAM radio (an entire
generation, not just the odd kid), the hobby must offer a mode that is
compatible with how they live. FT-8 is perfect for that: it can be operated
remotely from a smart-phone via an app, while riding a bus or train and
doing other things... And, yes, it can be automated.
There will be nothing wrong with a young HAM working 100 countries in a
month while not even at his station. Good for him! Just don't mix his
achievement with mine. (Is RTTY really a digital mode? It seems to be very
analog these days.)
73,
George,
AA7JV