Topband: Fan dipole ruins 160 rx ?

Riccardo Negro ik2caw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 03:23:23 EDT 2019

Hi  all,

I need your kind advice on a new antenna configuration.

I am planning to add 80 and 40 to my 160 inv vee using a fan dipole
configuration. Separation of 20 cm (at top) to 1m (at bottom) between each
wire as reccomended at page 28 of the now unclassified Stanford Research
Institute (SRI) paper that can be download here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjJkIW5nu_aAhUk8YMKHeXtBUgQFggpMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dtic.mil%2Fget-tr-doc%2Fpdf%3FAD%3DAD0684938&usg=AOvVaw0HNc6XBzphxOyuNmgb5P1M

My question: based on your experience, is adding 80 and 40 wires below the
160 wire detrimental to 160 as long as RX is concerned (noise pick up due
to mutual coupling, etc.) ?
My station is located in a quiet mountain area but I am not willing to
trade 160 performance for 80 and 40 coverage.

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.
73 de Rik, IK2CAW