Topband: When is coax 'contaminated' beyond use?

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Mon Feb 4 01:05:49 EST 2019

The last version of my elevated 40m 4-square (~2016-7?) was built with
belden stuff that had the black coating all along the length.  I buffed
it up and used crimp connectors.  Worked great.

My reasoning was that while the contamination was going to affect some
of the cross connects of the braid and thus bump the cable inductance,
1) it was 40m - not UHF, 2) not every contact point of every strand
would be turned insulative in the worst case, 3) even the contaminated
parts were probably not really that insulative and 4) it was a lot
better quality coax than the really miserable, really pathetic, really
terrible RG11-ish stuff I was replacing.

I put down 5/8" CATV when I moved the 40m 4sq back down to the ground -
but a guy has got to use what he has in hand.  And my guess is that for
the dump power port on a 4SQ, the contamination is just about the last
thing on the list to worry about.  After all, in the nominal case a 4SQ
puts little power through the dump resistor so the quality of the line
is a minimal impact.  And if you are dumping a bunch of power into it,
you are probably working far from the sweet spot of the array anyway so
the general performance is getting whacked by being far from the design
frequency anyway so why worry.

If it were me, I would run it on the dump port and put that fancy LMR in
some application that would matter.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com