Topband: ARRL DX Contest

Gary Smith Gary at ka1j.com
Mon Feb 18 14:59:31 EST 2019

Fun conditions but I had un-avoidable
obligations that kept me from any sincere
contest effort, I just got on to give
points. Didn't take part in any pileups,
just answered CQ's with nobody else
calling them.

As others have mentioned, Saturday was
much better and I was amazed how EU was
killing it over here. There were some of
the strongest 160 signals in, for me,
quite a few years. I only worked 160, this
is the band with the most reward, for me.

Kudos to the HI-Z antennas for a real help
on some of the weaker stations. Just for
fun I tried the sloper alone for RX and
intelligibility plummeted. Used the sloper
and triangular on the sub Rx, for
diversity with the K3s and that was a
marked improvement. The circle 8 &
triangular for diversity was a real window
cleaning.

Now to get rid of the local RFI and it'd
be even better... Details, details.

Have fun & 73,

Gary
KA1J