Topband: 4sq vs SAL 30 Mkii in a forest

Lee STRAHAN k7tjr at msn.com
Mon Feb 18 18:55:57 EST 2019

   Since the inception of the Hi-Z antenna products we have recommended that the elements be distant from foliage by at least 5 feet clearance. We have also recommended that tall trees be 10 feet away from the elements. We have had customers install arrays literally among forests without their reporting adverse effects on the array performance. With this one exception. A high impedance array was installed on a small lot in Florida where after a month or two of scientific experiments it was decided that close Palm tree fronds were affecting this array installed around a house. The experiments revealed a very high dielectric property which may be part of the answer to the effect. They were trimmed back lessening the effect. After many years I recall no instance where the arrays have reportedly been affected by other types of trees near the elements. I have no knowledge of the SAL-30 except for meeting KB7GF the designer at Dayton and comparatively running the NEC model he published.

Lee   K7TJR
Hi-Z Antennas