Topband: 4sq vs SAL 30 Mkii in a forest

John Kaufmann john.kaufmann at verizon.net
Mon Feb 18 19:01:25 EST 2019

I have an 8-circle array in the woods.  The tallest trees in my area are about 60-70 feet, so your trees might be larger and denser than mine.   However, my system works very well, judging by the fact that its pattern seems to match very closely the theoretical pattern for this array.  In other words, I seriously doubt that the trees are detuning or degrading my array in any significant way.  Some people believe that trees and foliage introduce attenuation, even on 160 meters, but as long as the attenuation is the same for every element in the array, it is of no consequence because these short verticals are already very inefficient.  I do try to keep the verticals a few feet clear of big trees and foliage, and periodically I trim away foliage that grows in around them.

73, John W1FV